How to treat back pain – Muscle spasm treatment – Muscle spasm causes
According to the latest statistics made by the University of Washington, USA, back pain is the most common pain in the world.
And according to Harvard University studies, 80 percent of people suffer from back pain at some point in their lives.
Also, back pain is the most common reason for patients to visit clinics.
For these reasons, we explain in this article the most important causes of back pain, how to avoid it, and ways to treat it if it occurs.
The spine divides into:
1. Cervical Spine :
It consists of 7 vertebrae that form the cervical curve of the spine, where these vertebrae naturally bend forward.
2. Thoracic Spine :
It consists of 12 vertebrae, and the spine is curved in this region towards the back, and the dorsal vertebrae connect with the ribs that form the rib cage.
3. Lumbar Column :
It consists of 5 vertebrae that form the lower back region, and the curvature of the spine in this region is forward on the same side as the curvature of the cervical spine.
It consists of 5 vertebrae fused together to form a single, triangular piece of bone directly below the lumbar spine.
5. Coccyx :
It consists of 4 or 5 vertebrae fused, which is the terminal part of the spine.
These vertebrae separate disks .
The vertebrae are joined together by side joints, back and side ligaments.
A massive muscle mass surrounds the spine to aid in movement. It is located within the spine, the spinal canal that contains the spinal cord.
Pairs of nerves exit the spinal cord through intervertebral openings.
Therefore, any disorder or defect that affects one of these structures causes back pain.
We can mention the most common causes of back pain.
It accounts for more than 80% of the causes of back pain and many causes of muscle spasms, including:
- Troubled muscles.
- Sudden wrong movements.
- Wrong postures whether sleeping, sitting, or getting carried away.
- Fluid loss.
- Deficiency of minerals such as calcium, potassium, and magnesium and time.
- Vitamin D deficiency.
- Stress and emotional excitement.
- Some glandular or kidney disorders may increase muscle spasms.
- Imbalance in the lower extremities, such as having a difference in height, or having a flat foot that increases the likelihood of muscle spasms.
Muscle Spasticity Treatment :
- Replace minerals and fluids by drinking adequate water and proper nutrition or nutritional supplements.
- Learn the correct positions for sleeping and sitting, how to carry things correctly, and rely on pillows, mattresses, shoes and orthopedic chairs.
- Exercise, especially stretching and swimming.
It was observed in the recent period that children visited orthopedic clinics due to cervical pain, which we had not previously seen, as a result of the excessive and indiscriminate use of electronic devices.
Therefore, a specific time for the use of these devices that does not exceed two hours as a maximum and to compensate them in sports activities and clubs.
In case of a muscle strain, you can resort to warm compresses or a warm bath and take some muscle relaxants.
It is a good idea to have a massage in the cramping area.
As for the other causes of back pain, each cause needs independent research on its own and in order to avoid prolongation, we will quickly mention it, and we will single out for each one of them a separate chapter.
The most important of these causes are:
- Disc, herniated disc, sciatic nerve, or sciatica.
- Sliding of vertebrae.
- Vertebral stiffness and facet joint.
- Vertebral fractures caused by osteoporosis.
- Infections of the spine, such as septic infections such as tuberculosis and others, or immune infections.
- Si joint inflammation of the sacroiliac joint.
- Abnormalities in the structure of the spine such as kyphosis and scoliosis.
There are some diseases that affect the internal organs such as the heart, lungs, kidneys and pancreas. These diseases may be reflected in the form of pain in the spine.